Tuesday, March 19, 2013
The fires were found to have started in a clothes dryer and a chimney, respectively.
- POLICE & FIRE
Tuesday, March 19
Central Coventry and Coventry (Anthony) firefighters were kept busy towards the end of last week as they fought two working house fires just days apart. Dispatch received the first call on Thursday night for house fire on Bernard Drive in the Anthony section of town. First arriving companies reported a smoke condition and shortly after confirmed a working fire. Flames were confined to a dryer unit in the basement of the home and were extinguished. The second incident was a reported chimney fire on Saturday morning at a Highland Avenue residence, at which first arriving companies reported smoke coming from the structure. Firefighters proceeded to open the walls of the home to locate and confine the fire. There were no reported injuries…
Monday, January 14, 2013
Homeowners were alerted by both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, which ultimately saved their home from extensive damage.
At 1:15 a.m. on Jan. 13, the Western Coventry Fire Department and mutual aid companies including Central Coventry, Foster and Hopkins Hill responded to 140 Weeks Hill Rd. for smoke in the dwelling. The homeowners reported that both their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors alerted them to the problem and that there was visible smoke in the home. According to Deputy Chief Kelly A. Guastini, companies found a light smoke condition in the home upon arrival and began working to locate its source. Under the command of Lt. Peter C. Gardner, firefighters found that the smoke originated below the floor in a crawl space located in front of a fire place which was not operational at the time. Deputy Chief Guastini also reported that the fire may …
Friday, April 20, 2012
The blaze was extinguished quickly, but caused extensive damage.
Update: Apr. 23 - 2:12 p.m: Officials have ruled the cause of Friday's house fire to be improperly disposed of ashes or remains of an incense stick. "It seems that someone threw the ashes in a garbage can and walked away," said Lt. John Shields. Apr. 20 - 6:13 p.m.: At 2:21 p.m. on Friday, Central Coventry Fire crews responded to multiple calls of a house fire at 29 Lemis St. No one was in the home at the time, but several neighborhood teens were riding bikes outside when they saw the flames coming from inside. CCFD Chief Bob Seltzer explained that firefighters had the situation under control in about 10-15 minutes, however he believes the fire had been burning inside for some time before the calls came in. The home sustained heavy fire …