And with just a couple of weeks until Halloween, it's a great time to venture out to local farms and check out their recent crop of pumpkins, or grab a bag or two of apples for apple pies.
Many places around Coventry also offer hay rides and other activities for the family — there are even special fall-themed events, like Henry Steele Orchard's Applefest on Oct. 13 and 14.
Here's a brief list of farms near Coventry, and what they're offering, that we found on PumpkinPatchesandMore.org — you can also check out Farm Fresh RI for more information, including hours and directions.
- Confreda Greenhouses & Farms, 2150 Scituate Ave., Hope. Pumpkin picking and tours, haunted hayride and corn maze. 401-827-5000.
- Festival Farm, 2 Canonchet Road at the corner of Route 3, Hope Valley. Pumpkins, tractor-pulled hayrides, farm market, gift shop, refreshment stand, petting zoo, farm animals. Call 401-742- 5575 or email: Festivalfarm@gmail.com. Click here for a map and directions.
- Pezza Farms, 2279 Plainfield Pike, Johnston. Hayrides on Saturdays and Sundays, 1 to 4 p.m., plus Columbus Day. Make-your-own scarecrow, animal feeding. 401-943-2707.
- Salisbury Farm, Plainfield Pike [Rte. 14], Johnston. Pick-your-own pumpkins from the pumpkin patch; also available for sale at farm stand. Train rides, mazes, tractor-pulled hay rides. 401-942-9741.
- Primrose Valley Gardens, 1184 Providence Pike, North Smithfield. Pumpkins, corn stalks and hay bales for sale. 401-597-5797.
- Cucumber Hill Farm, 39 Cucumber Hill Road, Foster. Open through Oct. 27, including Columbus Day. Educational corn maze, pick-your-own pumpkin from the patch or select a pre-picked pumpkin, flashlight and lantern-lit hayrides on Saturdays. 401-397-7500.
- Henry Steere Orchard, 150 Austin Avenue, Greenville. Pick-your-own apples every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., pumpkins and squash for sale. Free hayrides on the weekends. 9th Annual Applefest, Oct. 13 and 14 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. 401-949-1456.
- Highland Farm, 4235 Tower Hill Road, Wakefield.
Delamorte’s Haunted Hayride and The Forest Of Fear (each attraction is changed for the new season for a whole new experience) pumpkin patch, tractor-pulled hay rides, haunted house, haunted rides, haunted trail, gift shop, snacks and refreshment stand. Open weekends in October, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Directions: Click here for a map and directions. For more information, call 401-792-8188.