.

WCFD Responds to Sunday Morning House Fire

Homeowners were alerted by both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, which ultimately saved their home from extensive damage.

 

At 1:15 a.m. on Jan. 13, the Western Coventry Fire Department and mutual aid companies including Central Coventry, Foster and Hopkins Hill responded to 140 Weeks Hill Rd. for smoke in the dwelling.  

The homeowners reported that both their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors alerted them to the problem and that there was visible smoke in the home.

According to Deputy Chief Kelly A. Guastini, companies found a light smoke condition in the home upon arrival and began working to locate its source. Under the command of Lt. Peter C. Gardner, firefighters found that the smoke originated below the floor in a crawl space located in front of a fire place which was not operational at the time. Deputy Chief Guastini also reported that the fire may have been smoldering beneath the floor for some time.

Crews extinguished the fire and ventilated the house of smoke, allowing the homeowners to stay in the residence.

"This is a great opportunity to stress the importance of fully functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home," said Deputy Chief Guastini.

Click here for information and tips about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors provided by the National Fire Protection Association.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »