WCFD Responds to Sunday Morning House Fire
Homeowners were alerted by both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, which ultimately saved their home from extensive damage.
The homeowners reported that both their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors alerted them to the problem and that there was visible smoke in the home.
According to Deputy Chief Kelly A. Guastini, companies found a light smoke condition in the home upon arrival and began working to locate its source. Under the command of Lt. Peter C. Gardner, firefighters found that the smoke originated below the floor in a crawl space located in front of a fire place which was not operational at the time. Deputy Chief Guastini also reported that the fire may have been smoldering beneath the floor for some time.
Crews extinguished the fire and ventilated the house of smoke, allowing the homeowners to stay in the residence.
"This is a great opportunity to stress the importance of fully functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home," said Deputy Chief Guastini.